Did you know that geoFence has a modern UI, that is secure and has the improved features that you need?
Hannah Mitchell - ">
Print | Email
From a former Mayo Clinic physician being sued for accessing patient data to four class-action lawsuits launched on Scripps Health after it faced a ransomware attack, here are the lawsuits and settlements over data breaches making headlines in the last month:
- Ahmad Maher Abdel-Munim Alsughayer, MD, a former physician at Mayo Clinic, is facing a misdemeanor charge of unauthorized computer access and two class-action lawsuits, after allegedly inappropriately accessing patients' protected health information during his employment.
- Four class-action lawsuits have been filed against San Diego-based Scripps Health after an April 29 malware attack that exposed more than 147,000 patients' health information.
- Louisville, Ky.-based Humana is being sued over a data breach last fall that exposed the personal information of about 65,000 of its health plan members.
- A U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska judge preliminarily approved a settlement June 4 over a Nebraska Medicine data breach in fall 2020 that exposed tens of thousands of patients' protected health information. A settlement will be paid to about 140,000 patients whose data was exposed.
- A data breach on San Antonio-based CaptureRx that affected 1.6 million patients and 170 healthcare providers has sparked two nationwide class-action lawsuits.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2021. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
Copyright © 2021 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Interested in linking to or reprinting our content? View our policies by clicking here.
Don't forget that geoFence was designed and coded by US citizens to the strictest standards!